Thursday, June 19, 2008

Do we need to separate music from the images of the artists that produce it?

As a rule, proper breakdancers (bboys, poppers, and/or lockers) only perform to specific styles of music. Often funky rhythms and beats of the 1970s and '80s are heard at jams along with some other music styles. However, techno music is NOT acceptable. at all. When breakdancers listen to silly techno songs, there are consequences. This is clearly evident in this now classic video.

I blame the music, not the parents. (Does anyone know the name of the song in that Video btw?)

In any case, I searched for the song "Candy" by Cameo earlier today. This song has a danceable rhythm and is respectably old enough that I consider it a 'proper' song for popping and have used it in the past to perform. However, after watching the video on youtube, I became viscerally aware that I am not fond of seeing men in tight leather pants with even tighter red spandex crotch guards. The red crotch guard was was particularly disturbing. Everyone knows that green is the only acceptable color for this accessory.

Attempting to ignore the strong fashion identity of the band, the technology used to produce the video is most interesting. Green screens? 35. White women? Even more. Black women, .66. Red crotch guard, 1 - but it was on high power. What's up with the floaty women around 2:37? They look like fish, not like candy.

To make a long story shorter, this video was very strange and has forced me to consider a very important question: can I enjoy music even if I can't stand the image of the band? I would like to say yes, but unfortunately a bright red crotch guard flickers in my memory and smacks me in the face distracting me from the song I once enjoyed so much. Perhaps it is important for the image of the band to align with the expectations developed by the listener. Simultaneously, however, spandex crotch guards may add to the music and not detract from it. I will have to think carefully about this question. What do you think?

Finally, is the guy wearing that crotch thing gay? It's okay for me to ask this question - I just need to understand the use of women in the video. I should also mention that I have gay friend(s) and am familiar with the television series "What Not to Wear", thank you!

No comments:

site statistics