Friday, June 20, 2008

Beggin Strips aren't Bacon? I'll be the judge of that!

Have you ever heard of Beggin Strips? They are a doggy treat that looks, smells and tastes like bacon to dogs. My dog loves them. The treats are a great idea, right? WRONG!

This is a story all about how
my life got flipped turned upset down
and I'd like to take a minute just sitting right here
I'll tell you why I hate beggin strips -- I hope that it's clear

I found a bag of the treats in the garage and rewarded my dog with them when she obeyed commands during the day. In the evening, I generally ignore my dog so I stopped giving her commands and thus I stopped giving her the treats. Then out of no where my dog started sitting, laying down, and rolling over as if I were asking her to do these things (or even paying attention). I soon recognized that she was attempting to get a beggin strip in return for her behavior. I didn't even have any of the things with me at the time so I showed the dog my hands and pockets to show her that I did not have strips to give her. When she realized I didn't have any she looked at me with the evil eye only a dog can give. Then she started barking at me and scratching my legs for the rest of the night only pausing to scratch and lick herself.

The whole scene was a mess. My dog was acting as if I had given her crack, but it's been over a year since I've done that so I know that wasn't the problem. I decided there must be something extra 'special' in those bacon like strips to make my dog go ape bananas. I retrieved the package of the treat to examine its ingredients, but I was distracted the savory aroma of bacon eminating from the package. The beggin strips smelled so good and they smell just like bacon too... By the time I realized what I was doing, it was too late; the beggin strip was in my mouth. It smelled great, but its taste was disgusting! However, the resulting warm, effervescent, and relaxing feeling that overcame me a few minutes later was a pleasant surprise.

Despite the relatively satisfactory conclusion to this event, I was still disturbed by its occurrence. How could something like this happen? How could I allow myself to eat a dog treat? That's crazy! I would blame myself for this event, but that would cause me to take personal responsibility. Instead I blame the beggin strips company. Dogs really don't need a treat that looks and smells like bacon - dogs eat their own... well, dogs enjoy any snack that is not in their regular diet. Ultimately, beggin strips are designed to lure human people into buying them. People are enticed to the look and smell of bacon. Dogs don't care about what the treat looks like. If dogs could talk I'm confident they would say, "I can't believe you make me eat the same food everyday and pee outside. It's degrading. Just give me a shapeless but tasty doggy biscuit to ease my pain".

Although I don't like beggin' strips - it caused me to bite one somehow?! I do see an opportunity to for a new product in the snack food and dog treat industries. A food company needs to develop a treat that is safe for both humans and dogs to eat and tasty to them as well. Scooby and Shaggy ate the same snacks, don't you want to kick back and eat biscuits with your dog? Dogs are man's best friend, right? The follow up would be a lager safe for you and your lab - who wouldn't want to enjoy a cold brew with their bff?

Summary:
Beggin Strips: bad and addictive to humans and dogs.
Product Innovation Opportunity: snacks pet owners can share with their furry friends (please let me know if these products already exist or if you get this product developed, thanks)
Taste of Beggin Strips: Rubber-like and gritty after chewing. Taste like cardboard.

No comments:

site statistics