Thursday, October 23, 2008

Welcome Harvard Breakers!

The Harvard Breakers Organization is a safe space for dancers. Everyone doesn't respect dance, but among Breakers dance is not only respected, but practiced and revered. I had a bad experience once while dancing outside of the organization. I was in the middle of a glide and body wave when a man abruptly told me to stop dancing. I explained to the man that I was expressing my freedom of speech. The man rudely retorted, "You're dancing in the middle of my class, now get out!". What an awful professor.

Breakers is great because professors never tell you to stop dancing. It's also great because you can be around other people who actually know what the terms 'popping', 'locking', 'breaking' refer to and enjoy performing all of these dances or some subset of them. The commercial below reminds me of the group every time I see it. If you are or have ever been a member of the Breakers, please leave a comment about a memorable experience you have had dancing inside or outside of the group and check out one of my other posts related to dance: So You Think You Can Dance Poppers Bboy music on imeem

No comments:

site statistics